Sunday, February 3, 2013

Maintenance and upgrades, 2013

General - Monthly wash-down and monthly bottom cleaning.

Jan 27-Feb 1 - One week of applying two coats of Epifanes Wood Finish to the cockpit coaming, hatch covers and stern-pulpit seats.  Also replaced the primary CQR anchor with a new Spade anchor and moved the CQR into the secondary anchor spot, stowing the old secondary Delta anchor in the dock box.

Feb 24 - Jeff Grant washed and polished the boat for us. 

Mar 14 to Apr 19 - Alizee into Sailor's Wharf for a bottom job and some repairs in preparation for a trip to the Dry Tortugas, and to replace water hoses chewed by rats on board.  I also decided to splurge big-time and covert my primary and halyard winches to electric.  The years are starting to creep up on us, and cranking is not what it used to be!

1) Boat hauled, pressured washed and bottom and running gear (prop) painted with Petit hard copper.  New zincs installed
2) Rebedded two port lights on the port side (nearest the stern above the galley stove; 3rd light from stern at the bulkhead).  
3) Pull off and rebed the 3/4"-1" stainless rub rail on the starboard side.  Discovered screw holes underneath without screws in them and water in the holes, finally determining the source of water intrusion into the cabin interior when heeled on a port tack.  The forward half of this rub rail was damaged in a collision two and a half-years ago and replaced at a yard in Daytona.  

3) Disconnect, load test and reconnect the batteries. Good condition.
4) Service the Yanmar engine (fluids, valve adjustment, filters).
5) Reverse and restring the reef lines, which reversed when boat was in yard in 2012 (yard warranty).
6) Repair tank leak in forward water tank lid fasteners.
7) Troubleshoot galley faucet; install new Kohler faucet.

8) Replace fresh water hoses chewed by a rodent.  Majority of hoses replaced, from watermaker and cockpit shower to lines under cabin sole leading to front water tank and head sink.  During the process, it became clear that the exterminator from the Harborage Marina had not gotten the second rodent, which started in on a couple of the replaced lines.  The yard worked with the exterminator to put out traps and, finally, poison.  As of 17 April, the rat had one no more damage; smells in the bilge suggest it's died.  Left poison in place in several spots when the boat left the yard; watchful waiting thereafter.
9) Installed Lewmar electric halyard winch on cabin top, wired and constructed cabinet and trim to cover motor and wiring.
10) Prepped for installation of two Lewmar electric primary winches (conversion kits) by making panels to cover winch motors.  Unfortunately, this meant the loss of the two small storage cutouts under the primary winches, where we generally stowed the sheets.  On the port side, the fuel overflow and aft water tank overflows were moved from the storage cutout to the outside of the cockpit coaming.

Apr 20-22 - Prepping for three-week Dry Tortuga cruise.  Replaced burned out dome light over freezer in galley with an LED dome light.  Replaced suction hooks in various spots in the cabin.  Thoroughly cleaned the galley, refrigerator/freezer, cabin sole, settees, lights and head.  Vacuumed out locker where the rat had spent some time (left poison and a trap in there for the time being).  Straightened out the cockpit lockers and the lazarette.  Bilge pump has not gone off and no sign of the rat.

May 14-Jul 3 - Take Alizee back into Sailor's Wharf to complete work started before our Dry Tortuga cruise.

1) On trip we discovered that the batteries did not appear to be functioning as they did before boat was in the yard at the first of the year. The Link 20 monitor showed bank 1 (2 house batteries) holding charge, whereas bank 2 (single start battery) was carrying the load and going down fast.  Also appeared that Kiss Wind Generator was only charging bank 1.  Yard went through the system and determined one battery was bad, so replaced all three.

2) Installed new galley faucet.

3) Installed two electric primary winches and controls.  Cover panels fabricated for areas cut out for winch motors.

4) Replaced plexi-cover for engine controls.

5) Repaired wire damage to VHF remote microphone and wiring behind electrical panel.

6) Repaired section of steel rubrail.

7) Replaced water maker tubing damaged by rodent.

Sep 7 - Lippincott Canvas installed new dodger and new bimini, the latter with side sunshades.

Oct 18 -Wash and wax by Ohana Sailing (Jeff Grant).

Oct 28 - Northeast Marine replaced reverse lock pin and rod on dinghy motor and cleaned shifting gears.

Nov 19 - Re-certified one propane tank.

Nov 25 - David Weinstein (Professional Marine Services) met us on our return from a four-day cruise to trouble shoot our shore-power problem.  Although I was a bit embarrassed, it turned out to be a circuit breaker that had tripped, one that I did not even know existed.  But, in the process of trouble-shooting, David suggested that we replace some electrical units on the main panel, which were faulty.  We agreed, and he ordered the parts.  He also repaired the V-berth air fan, and I ordered a new air fan for the port side of the salon.

Dec 15 - Wash and polish by Slippery When Wet (Denise Stanco).